The Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) framework is a research-based, structured, college prep system designed to provide direct support for college-bound students who typically find themselves in “the middle.” The mission of AVID is to ensure students:
- succeed in rigorous curriculum;
- complete a college prep path;
- participate in mainstream activities of the school;
- increase their enrollment in four-year colleges; and
- become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
AVID students are enrolled in the four required content classes, with at least one of the four being an advanced class. In addition, AVID students will have one elective of choice and the required AVID elective class.
The AVID elective class provides students with support, strategies, and direct instruction to help them complete rigorous work and meet or exceed high standards in each content area. In order to do so, the goal is to assist students:
- develop as readers and writers
- develop deep content knowledge
- know content specific strategies for reading, writing, thinking, and talking
- develop habits, skills, and behaviors to use knowledge and skills
- become aware of the “hidden curriculum” in schools
- develop collaboration
- develop organization
At Pasco Middle School all students are exposed to AVID strategies and curriculum throughout their day in all classes. AVID students in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades will take the AVID elective class as a separate elective during their day, with more intensive and intentional focus on preparing them for high school and college success. The presentation below will give additional information about how the program looks at Pasco Middle.